I love to have soup in the fall and winter. This Butternut Squash and Apple Soup with Truffle Coconut Cream is great on a cold day. I was out to dinner with my friend Liz a few weeks ago, and she got a delicious butternut squash soup with truffle oil drizzled on top. I decided to recreate my own version by adding in some apple, and topping it with a Truffle cream.
For this recipe, you can buy a pound of pre-diced butternut squash, or cube your own. I decided to take two bottoms of butternut squash. This way I could save the top pieces for spiralizing another time! If you buy the pre-diced squash, you might want to cut the pieces into slightly smaller cubes.
Side note: I love how when you slice a butternut squash beadlets of moisture pop up around the edges. It looks so cool!
Start by cooking the onion, celery, carrots, ginger, and bay leaf in olive oil, add a bit of salt and pepper. Cook for about 5 minutes on medium-high heat. Then add in the diced butternut squash, apple, and vegetable stock. Bring to a boil and then reduce to a simmer for about 12-15 minutes. You will know it’s done if the butternut squash is softened.
While your soup is cooking, make the truffled coconut cream. You need to buy the classic version (if you get the light lower fat version, it won’t have the cream on top.)
Scoop out about 1/3 cup of the solids from the top of the can.
Drizzle with the Truffle Oil and mix to combine.
When your soup has cooked, use an immersion blender to puree. Make sure you remove the bay leaf before doing any blending! You can make it completely smooth, or leave some small pieces for a bit of texture. If you prefer, use a regular blender.
Once you have it pureed to the desired consistency, add the remainder of the coconut milk and heat for a couple more minutes.
Serve by drizzling a bowl of soup with the coconut cream!
Check out these adorable Pioneer Women bowls. They are the perfect size for when you want just a cup of soup.
Butternut Squash Soup with Truffle Coconut Cream
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
- 2 Tbsp of extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large carrot, diced
- ⅓ cup of onion, diced
- 1 stalk of celery, diced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 Tbsp of fresh ginger, grated
- 1 Pound cubed butternut squash
- 1 green apple, diced
- 1 quart of vegetable broth (about 5 cups)
- 1 can of coconut milk, ⅓ cup solid seperated
- ½ tsp of Truffle oil
- Over medium heat, add olive oil, diced carrot, diced onion, diced celery, bay leaf, and ginger. Cook for about 5 minutes until onions are translucent.
- Add butternut squash, green apple, and vegetable broth. Bring to boil, cook about 12 minutes, or until butternut squash is softened
- Remove bay leaf, then using a food processor or immersion blender, blend the soup until it is mostly smooth.
- Return soup to heat. Separate the coconut milk by scooping out cup of the solids on top and set aside. Add the liquid parts to the soup mixture and stir to combine until heated well.
- In a small bowl, combine ½ cup of solids of the coconut milk with ½ tsp of truffle oil.
- When serving, drizzle truffled coconut milk in the bowl. Add additional drizzle of truffle oil if desired!