Let’s just say March was a bit of a crazy month for me! A lot of fun things, but not much free time. As you may know I am currently going through a 200 hour Yoga Teacher Training! It is really awesome, but a bit time consuming. I currently am at the halfway point, but I am going to try to be more diligent in my posting. It’s April, and I am back!
This Crispy Chickpea and Caper Zucchini Spaghetti came about as I was searching for something quick to make. I found a recipe from Real Simple but I wanted a lightened up version, so I used zucchini noodles instead! I added in the artichokes, because I thought they would be a nice compliment to the other ingredients. I knew Mike would like this one given his love of capers!
Start by preheating the oven to 400 degrees. Mix the chickpeas, capers, garlic, panko, coriander, sea salt, black pepper, and olive oil in a large bowl.
Be sure that everything is evenly coated.
Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and spread the mixture out. Bake for about 20 minutes, tossing halfway through. You can bake them for an additional 5 minutes or so if you want them a little extra crispy.
While your chickpeas are cooking, get the spaghetti ready! Use a spiralizer to make spaghetti out of two medium zucchinis. Then in a large pan, add 1 Tbsp of olive oil and artichoke hearts. I usually get the ones that are already quartered, but then I like to cut them in half again. Season with a bit of sea salt and pepper and cook for 5 minutes stirring occasionally.
Next, add in the zucchini noodles and lemon juice, cooking for an additional 5 minutes.
Plate you dinner by first putting the zucchini noodles, then topping with the chickpea and caper mixture and a bit of chopped cilantro. Enjoy immediately! Note: If you have leftovers, be sure to store the chickpeas and zucchini separately. This will keep your chickpea and caper mixture from getting soggy!
Crispy Chickpea and Caper “Spaghetti”
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 35 minutes
- 1 can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- ¼ cup capers, drained
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ cup whole wheat panko bread crumbs
- ½ tsp. Ground coriander
- Sea Salt
- Black Pepper
- ¼ cup + 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 can artichoke hearts, quartered
- 2 medium zucchinis
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice
- ¼ cup cilantro, finely chopped
- Preheat the oven to 400℉.
- In a medium size bowl, combine chickpeas, capers, garlic, panko, coriander, sea salt, black pepper, and olive oil. Mix until everything is evenly coated. On a parchment lined baking sheet, spread the chickpea and caper mixture and roast. After 10 minutes, toss it around. Check back at 20 minutes to see if the chickpeas are crispy. It may need a few more minutes, depending on how crispy you like them.
- In a large pan, add 1 Tbsp of olive oil over medium-high heat. Cook the Season the artichoke hearts with salt and pepper, and cook for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Once artichoke hearts hearts start to get some browned edges, add in the zucchini spaghetti. Drizzle the lemon juice over the zucchini and artichokes. Cook for 5 more minutes, or until the zucchini is al dente.
- Plate the noodle and artichoke mixture then top with chickpeas, capers, and cilantro.