During the Super Bowl last week the conversation came to chili recipes since it was being served. Someone brought up that they make a white chicken chili, and I thought I had to make a vegetarian version of this!
It’s a pretty easy one pot meal, somehow I still managed to make a huge mess! I used jackfruit as chicken substitute. If you haven’t had jackfruit before, it is definitely worth a try, it’s actually a relative of the fig. If jackfruit isn’t your thing, you could very easily omit it and just use an extra can of white beans instead.
Start by heating olive oil or coconut oil and then adding the veggies. Once the veggies have softened, add in the jalapeño, garlic, and spices and cook a few more minutes.
I took half of the beans and chopped them a bit in the food processor to give the chili more of a hearty texture. Then, I added them with the unchopped beans, jackfruit, corn, and green chilis.
Once this was thoroughly mixed, I added the vegetable broth and brought it to a boil. When boiling, add in the quinoa. The quinoa should only take about 15-20 minutes to be cooked. Finally, add in the warmed milk (your preferred non dairy version) and simmer for 2 more minutes.
Serve hot and garnish with cilantro, avocado, blue corn chips, and lime juice.
Vegan White Chili
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 45 minutes
- 2 Tbsp of Olive Oil or Coconut Oil
- 3 stalks of celery, diced
- 2 small or 1 medium zucchini, diced
- 1-2 green bell peppers, diced
- 1 white onion, diced
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, minced
- 1 Tbsp cumin
- ½ tsp dried oregano
- ½ tsp dried sage
- 1 bay leaf]
- ¼ tsp ground white pepper
- 1 can great northern beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can jackfruit, drained and chopped
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 4 oz can diced green chilies
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 1 cup of quinoa, uncooked
- 2 cups coconut or almond milk, warmed
- ½ cup cilantro, chopped
- 2-3 avocados, sliced
- Blue corn tortilla chips, for serving
- 2-3 limes, juiced
- In a large pot, over medium-high, heat olive oil. Next, add celery, zucchini, bell peppers, and onion. Cook for about 5 minutes until vegetables have softened.
- Add garlic, jalapeno, and spices, cook for another 1-2 minutes.
- In a food processor, add half of the great northern beans and garbanzo beans until roughly chopped. Add chopped beans and whole beans to the pot along with the jackfruit, frozen corn, and green chilies.
- Add vegetable stock and bring to a boil. Once boiling, reduce heat add quinoa and let simmer for 15 minutes.
- Stir in warm milk, and let simmer for another 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat and garnish with cilantro, avocado, tortilla chips, and lime juice.