I have recently gotten into “bowl” recipes, and this Roasted Broccoli and Butternut Squash Bowl with Vegan Special Sauce was delicious. It was tweaked from a recipe from The First Mess. The sauce is just as she made it, and you can find the recipe on her site!
The beauty of a bowl is that you can really mess it up! You just throw in whatever amount you feel like of each ingredient and you are set! I had the bottom of a butternut squashe in my fridge that needed to be eaten (I used the top part to spiralize), and I thought they would go great in this bowl. So I roasted them right alongside the broccoli.
Depending on how big or small you cube the butternut squash, it may take longer to cook than the broccoli. So it is a good idea to keep them separate in case you want to take the broccoli out sooner. If you cube the squash small enough it should cook in about the same time as the broccoli.
While your veggies are baking, make the Vegan Special Sauce. It is so easy! Just put everything in the blender and go! Then divide your ingredients into bowls, and top with vegan special sauce and scallions.
Roasted Broccoli and Butternut Squash Bowl with Vegan Special Sauce
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 45 minutes
- 1 head of broccoli, cut into florets
- ½ butternut squash, cubed
- 1 can of chickpeas
- 1 package of rice quinoa blend
- 2 scallions
- Preheat oven to 400℉. On a lined baking sheet, place broccoli florets and cubed butternut squash. Drizzle with olive oil, sea salt, and freshly crushed black pepper. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until squash is soft all the way through.
- While the broccoli and butternut squash are baking, make the Vegan Special Sauce. Find the recipe here from The First Mess.
- Heat rice, or prepare your preferred type of rice.
- Set out two bowls, and portion out the broccoli, butternut squash, rice mix, and chickpeas. Top with scallions and vegan special sauce.