This Vegan Quinoa Chili is a simple one pot meal! It is very hearty and usually leaves you with leftovers.
Start by cooking your veggies for a few minutes in olive oil. Then add the jalapeño and garlic, cook for 1 minute more. Next add in the spices and mix well. Follow with the beans and green chilis. Add a cup of water and bring to a boil. Once boiling, reduce to a simmer, add quinoa, and cook for about 30 minutes or until the quinoa is soft.
Add water to your fully cooked chili to get your desired consistency. I like mine pretty thick, so I only added a little bit. If you prefer it a bit thinner, add some more water. Serve hot and topped with cilantro, greek yogurt, scallions, and avocado.
Vegan Chili with Quinoa
Cook Time: 40 minutes
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 50 minutes
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 carrot, diced
- 1 stalk celery, diced
- ½ onion, diced
- red bell pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 jalapeno, diced finely
- 1 Tbsp chili powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 Tbsp worchestire sauce
- 2 cans diced tomatoes, with liquids
- 1 can kidney beans, with liquids
- 1 can black beans, drained
- 1 can pinto beans, with liquids
- 1 4 oz can diced green chilies
- 1 cup Quinoa, uncooked
- 1 cup water
- Small bunch of cilantro, chopped
- Nonfat greek yogurt (for topping, if not vegan)
- Avocado, diced
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- In a large pot over medium high heat, add olive oil, carrot, celery, onion, and red bell pepper. Cook for about 5 minutes until slightly softened.
- Add garlic and jalapeno and cook for 1 more minute.
- Add chili powder, cumin, and worchestire sauce. Mix well, then add diced tomatoes, kidney beans, black beans, pinto beans, and diced green chilies. Add cup of water. Combine evenly and bring to a boil.
- Once boiling, add quinoa, cover, reduce heat to a simmer for 30 minutes.
- Serve hot, and top with cilantro, yogurt and sliced avocado
Slightly modified from Cooking Creation’s Superfood Quinoa and Three Bean Chili