I am not really a big New Year’s Resolution person. I am typically someone who sets goals throughout the year, and I am continuously working to reach those goals. So setting goals just because it is a new year, isn’t really what I do. I am not after the #newyearnewme movement. I want to be the same me! However, with all of the holiday indulging, I want to get my healthy eating back on track. To do this, I created a 31 day challenge for myself. Some continuing previous goals that have gotten slightly off track, some to do a bit of cleansing! Check out the infographic to see my personal do an don’t list. I will be starting on January 4th when I head back to work. (Don’t want to miss out on the last few days of vacation treats!) What are your thoughts on New Year’s and Resolutions? Anyone else challenging themselves in some way for the new year?
Onto the recipe!
This Curried Sweet Potato Rice with Garlic Kale and Broccoli is whole foods based and will help me keep on track with my challenge! Its also really simple to make, and very flavorful!
Start by making your sweet potato rice. I learned from Insprialized, one of my favorite food bloggers, about making veggie rice. That is rice which is actually made from a vegetable! It is really simple to do. In this case I used Sweet Potatoes. First peel the sweet potatoes, then spiralize as you normally would. Then, using a food processor, add the sweet potato noodles and pulse until you get a rice like consistency. I did mine in a few batches because I have a tiny food processor. You might end up with some pieces that are longer than rice. If it doesn’t bother you like this, you can leave them! Otherwise pull out the longer pieces and throw them in with the next batch in the food processor.
Now it is time to cook the rice! Start by heating olive oil and adding the red curry paste.
While the rice is cooking, make the garlic broccoli and kale. Start by heating 1 tablespoon of olive oil and cooking the garlic for a minute or two. Then add the broccoli and cook for a few more minutes. Finally add the kale and tofu. Remove from heat one the kale and tofu are heated throughout.
Place your rice with the garlic broccoli and kale on top or on the side. I chose to top mine with a bit of curry salt which I purchased at the Chelsea Market Filling Station for just a bit of extra flavor. Some regular sea salt will also do the trick!
Curried Sweet Potato Rice with Garlic Kale and Broccoli
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 25 minutes
Servings: 2-3 servings
- 2 medium to large sweet potatoes
- 2 Tbsp olive oil, divided
- 1 tsp of red curry paste
- ½ tsp curry powder
- 1 large clove of garlic
- 1 head of broccoli
- 1 large bunch of kale
- baked tofu, cubed
- Peel and spiralize the sweet potatoes. In several batches, add to food processor and pulse until a rice-like consistency is reached.
- In a large pan, heat 1 Tbsp of olive oil and add red curry paste. Then add sweet potato rice and mix until curry paste is mixed in. Then mix in curry powder. Cook for about 5-8 minutes until sweet potatoes are softened.
- In a separate pan, heat 1 Tbsp of olive oil and add garlic. Cook for 1 minute before adding broccoli. Cook broccoli for 2-3 minutes then add kale and tofu. Remove from heat once kale and is warmed and slightly wilted.
- Top sweet potato rice with garlic kale and broccoli.