Try this recipe out for a vegetarian Monday Night Football meal!
I love Buffalo flavored things. If I weren’t a vegetarian, I’m pretty sure I would be obsessed with Buffalo Wings. People are always making great smelling buffalo dips and other buffalo flavored things, but never vegetarian! I came across a recipe for buffalo chicken lettuce wraps, and I knew I had to make a vegetarian version. The filling could be eaten by itself as dip with some type of chips. It’s great in the lettuce wraps. The lettuce has a cool, light texture and a nice crispness that is a great contrast to the spicy, warm buffalo tofu mixture.
I love this pre-baked organic tofu. It is super easy to use for many different recipes. Sometimes I use it cold in a salad, or hot in a stir fry. In this case I shredded it to be like shredded chicken.
This is a pretty quick and simple recipe. Start by combining all the ingredients for the blue cheese dressing (or you can use a premade one). In a small saucepan, melt the cream cheese with the ranch packet and the Frank’s Red Hot Sauce. You can adjust the amount of hot sauce depending on how spicy you like it. 1/2 of a cup makes it good and spicy. Once it is evenly combined, melt in the cheddar cheese, then add the shredded tofu.
Wash and separate the lettuce leaves so you have individual wraps. Fill with a couple spoonfuls of the buffalo tofu mixture and top with blue cheese dressing. You could also use the buffalo tofu mixture as a dip!
Garnish with celery, tomato, and scallions.
Buffalo Lettuce Wraps
Cook Time: 5 minutes
Prep Time: 25 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
For the dressing:
- ¼ cup of blue cheese, crumbled
- ½ cup of lowfat plain greek yogurt
- juice of half a lemon
- 1 Tbsp. of white vinegar
- ¼ tsp. sea salt
- Freshly crushed black pepper
- Sprinkle of garlic powder
- Drizzle of agave
For the Lettuce Wraps
- 4 oz. neufchatel cheese (half of a bar)
- 1 tsp. of ranch powder
- ¼ cup or more of Frank’s hot sauce, to taste
- 8 oz. of baked tofu, shredded
- ¼ cup of cheddar cheese, shredded
- head of butter or bibb lettuce, separated into single wraps
- ¼ cup of tomato, diced
- 2 stalks of celery, sliced
- Green onion, sliced
- Combine crumbled blue cheese, greek yogurt, lemon juice, white vinegar, sea salt, black pepper, garlic powder, horseradish, and agave. Whisk until smooth. Gently stir in blue cheese crumbles. Set dressing aside.
- In a saucepan over medium heat, combine cream cheese, ranch dressing powder, and hot sauce. Stir frequently. Add in shredded tofu and cheddar, mix together until warmed.
- Scoop buffalo tofu mixture into lettuce wraps, top with blue cheese dressing, and garnish with diced tomato, celery, and green onion. Add additional hot sauce if desired.